Scheduling a Maker Space Session
- The Maker Space is open during normal library operating hours. All Maker Space use must be completed 30 minutes prior to Library closing. The Southington Public Library Maker Space is reserved for patrons using Maker Space equipment or for patrons attending a library program.
- In order to use the makerspace, you must have a valid Library card from a Connecticut public library.
- Appointments are required. Contact the Reference Desk 860-328-0947 x5 if you would like to use the 3D printer, located in our Maker Space.
- Read and submit a completed liability waiver. For Children under 18, a parent or legal guardian must complete the minor liability waiver. Waivers may be obtained from the Reference Desk.
- Children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult at all times when using the Maker Space.
- Food and drinks are prohibited in the Maker Space.
- There is a first come, first serve policy when it comes to utilizing tools and equipment. Please be courteous and share equipment when others are waiting.
- Library equipment cannot be removed from the Maker Space.
- Library equipment should be used in a manner consistent with the proper use of each device. Equipment should not be mishandled or used in a way that can cause damage. Staff have the right to end the use of equipment if deemed necessary.
- Tools used must be returned to their original location in a clean state. The workspace also needs to be cleaned before the maker leaves.
- The Library provides free consumable materials on a limited basis. The maker agrees to avoid wasting supplies and materials.
- The Library does not accept responsibility if a project is destroyed, does not print correctly, or does not work.
- The Library is not responsible for equipment or files left behind.
- The Library reserves the right to halt, delete, or disallow the creation of items that violate Library policy, including the creation of weapons, pornography, or illegal items.
- The Library Code of Conduct and Internet Use Policy also apply to the Maker Space.
- Library staff can provide very limited assistance in using the equipment and software.
- Some tools require specific safety gear. All safety gear must be worn as appropriate.
- Certain items may require hair and any dangling items, like jewelry, to be secured or covered before use.
- If a maker sees that any tool or piece of equipment is unsafe or in a state of disrepair, the maker must immediately discontinue use of the tool and notify Library staff.
- The maker must report to a staff member any accident or incident that occurs and if unsafe behavior is witnessed, that behavior should be reported to a staff member at the time of the incident.
- Projects and materials may be subject to approval by staff prior to use of machinery.
Print & sign a Maker Space waiver from home! Download the appropriate file below.