We've recently added wireless hotspot kits to our collection for circulation! These kits, as well as our Chromebook kits, are limited to checkout by Southington library patrons in good standing. Call the Reference Desk for more information at 860-628-0947 x5.
Southington Public Library Chromebook Kit Lending FAQ’s
1. Who can check out a Chromebook or Hotspot Kit? Adults ages 18+ with a valid Southington Public Library card in good standing will be able to check out a Chromebook or Hotspot Kit. One Kit per household. May be borrowed once per quarter.
2. How do I check out a Chromebook or Hotspot Kit? Requests for Chromebook Kits can be made using our online catalog or over the phone, like any of our other materials. Upon checkout, borrowers will be asked to provide additional ID (driver’s license, state photo ID, etc.) along with their library card, and to read and sign a form agreeing to the Chromebook or Hotspot Kit Lending Policy and Use Agreement. This may be printed, filled out, and brought to the library, or fill out a copy at the Reference Desk. The borrower must sign and agree to the policy before borrowing the Chromebook Kit.
3. When can I pick up my Chromebook or Hotspot Kit? Come inside the library building during our open hours and pick up the Chromebook or Hotspot Kit at the Reference Desk from a staff person.
4. How long can I keep the Chromebook or Hotspot Kit? The Chromebook & Hotspot Kits can be borrowed for 3 weeks. Patrons may borrow a Chromebook or Hotspot Kit no more than once per quarter. These terms are subject to change based on demand.
5. How do I return the Chromebook or Hotspot Kit? Chromebook & Hotspot Kits must be returned in person to the Southington Public Library Reference Desk staff during our open hours. They cannot be returned in the book drop or left at any other desk in the library. They cannot be returned to any library other than the Southington Public Library. All items will be confirmed to be working properly before being checked in. Staff will contact you if there are any questions or concerns. Please remember that the loan will still show on your account until the check-in process is complete.
6. Are there late fees? An overdue charge of $1 per day up to the full replacement cost of $250 will be charged for a device that is not returned. Missing parts will incur additional charges.
7. Will I be charged if the Chromebook or Hotspot is damaged while in my possession? How much? Yes. Fees will depend on the type of damage and assessed on a case by case basis.
8. Will my documents stay on the Chromebook after I return it? Chromebooks are cleared of all documents, data, and any other browsing history between checkouts. Be sure to save your documents to a flash drive or cloud service as you will not be able to recover these documents once the Chromebooks are cleared.
9. Does the Chromebook Kit include the internet? A wireless hotspot device is included when you check out the Chromebook. This will give you access to the internet. A basic instruction sheet is included in the kit.
10. I don’t have a printer. Can I print things through the library? Yes, you can use our Wi-Fi printing service on the borrowed Chromebook and send your documents wirelessly to the library. For more details on our wireless printing service, visit our website or call 860-628-0947x 5.
11. Will library staff provide an orientation on the technology when I check it out? A basic instruction sheet will be provided explaining how to turn on and connect the equipment. If you have further questions, please call the Reference Desk at 860-628-0947x5.
12. I am not good with computers. Will Library staff help me use the Chromebook or answer technical questions? Library staff is able to provide basic help with your Chromebook—like how to turn it on, connect the wireless hotspot, or how to locate programs. For help, please call the Reference Desk at 860-628-0947 x5.
Chromebook Kits purchased thanks to a generous grant from The Bradley H. Barnes & Leila U. Barnes Memorial Trust at the Main Street Community Foundation.